Many a times our employers want to know our past records or if we have put ourselves through any act of criminal nature and they may do some research in order to understand whether we have a criminal record. If so then they decide to give the job to us or not to give us the job on the basis of this check.
A DBS check is basically a kind of background screening which helps the person too know whether that person on whom the cheque is being done has any reprimands warnings convictions or any of such records in the past and is actually an abbreviation for the term of a disclosure and barring service check.
Such checks are generally done to the information which is with the police national computer but also not all information may be with the central system as some time is the offence maybe local so there are many things that one needs to analyse with regards to such checks.
Here are some things you need to know about such checks
- If you confused whether there is a difference between the CRB check and DBS check then there is no difference between the two.
- There are many different types of checks and the DBS itself comes with 3 levels of disclosure and the job that you are taking up will decide which level of investigation needs to be done.
- The first level is the basic level disclosure which is a non specific check and is available to anyone who wants certification and it is generally for couriers a personal license holders etc.
- The next level is the standard level of disclosure in which the eligibility is with accordance to the legislative criteria that it demands and it is actually more in depth and required for careers like that of attorneys or solicitors.
- And the most detail type of DBS shake is the enhanced level one which is also for individuals who want to work with people who are vulnerable and will require this kind of disclosure.
DBS checks 85% of the time takes only 5 working days but sometimes it can take up to 10 working days. And even on rare occasion it can take more than 60 days.
And if you are wondering whether you should screen your employees in the this way then it is a recommendation for all job applicants to be screened one way or the other and if you feel that an in depth disclosure is not required then you can take a basic level once your employees and it is just better for understanding the kind of people who are working for you.
It is really up to your company’s way of operating for you to decide whether or not you want to get a background check done for your employees however it is better if you do. A disclosure just lets you understand your employees better and makes you aware of what and where they have come from and lets you know more about their background.